Thursday, February 03, 2005

Conscription Run Jan 31, 05

Just came back from a conscription run. My 4 months was up. This trip was pretty interesting, I met new people on this trip. Others that were just like me, overseas Chinese that had to leave every 4 months. So it is possible to do this afterall.

If you have a Taiwanese passport and would like to come back to Taiwan:
1. Stay in a foreign country for longer than 4 years, Or if you hold a permanent residence of another country.
2. Apply for an Overseas Chinese Identification certificate with the OCAC (Overseas Chinese Affairs Commission).
3. Just make sure you leave every 4 months during your stay in Taiwan. Before you can exit Taiwan, remember to get an exit permit (a stamp) on your passport with the Ministry of Interior.

And get this, all you have to do is LEAVE the don't have to enter another country. Yup, thats right. All you have to do is leave Taiwan. You can go to the beautiful international waters! OR go to any airport of your choice WITHOUT entering through immigrations. Yes, thats right, you can just go to HK airport, not go through immigrations and just catch the next plane back to Taiwan! Guess the Taiwan gov just wanted to give us a reason to be able to be excused from the military...


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found this blog on Google and I have a similiar question. If I have dual citizenship (Taiwan and USA) and use my US passport to visit Taiwan, would I be clear and free of any conscription hassles?

January 10, 2007 at 4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

February 20, 2010 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger handy said...

Hi, what do you meant by living in other country at least 4 years? If so, do I still need to leave every 4 months?

February 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home